Monday, November 28, 2022

The Flame

"Go and set the world on fire."

      -St. Ignatius Loyola

Coming to the end of formation at Lay Mission Helpers, I'm finding that this quote from one of my favorite Saints has changed in meaning for me somewhat. I can imagine Ignatius, the former romantic, chivalrous knight, dramatically charging into battle; taking on the world, battering down all obstacles and torching all evil. While the vision would make a great movie, I'm learning that the role of today's missionary is much more subtle. 

 The "flame" I am bringing to mission will be borne of humility. I am not expecting to charge headlong into "battle" per se, but rather entering as a guest of the people of Ghana. To look, listen and learn with respect; To discern areas of concern WITH those that call the country their home, not to dictate these things to them; To give them ownership of whatever goals they generously allow me to accomplish WITH them; To be a witness for Christ in all my words and actions; Finally, to open my heart to their hardships and joys on a daily basis and through them kindle God's fire within myself. Indeed, with all due respect to Saint Ignatius, a new credo now resonates: "For we are God's helpers."

1Corinthians 3:9

(Lay Mission-Helpers motto)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Funeral Memorial

I have just passed the halfway point of my 3-year commitment in Damongo working for the Diocese. The work itself has been very fulfilling. H...